Skip to main content


How do I transfer to Monte Vista?

Interested students already enrolled in a SVUSD school should contact the counselor or principal of their current school to request a referral to Monte Vista.  Once a completed referral has been received from the student's current school, an appointment with Monte Vista's principal will be scheduled.

Students accepted into Monte Vista will be given a complete orientation to the independent study process.  Enrollment contracts and paperwork must be signed by both student and a parent/guardian. 

Where do I start in my class when I arrive to Monte Vista?

If you are passing a class with a "D" or better you will start your class on the block (week) that you arrive to Monte Vista. If you are failing a class, you will have to start from the first block (week) to make-up what you have missed. Each class is 18-20 (weeks) blocks long. We will use your withdraw grades to determine where you stand. 

Does a parent have to attend each weekly appointment?

Students in grades K-8 must have a parent/guardian in attendance at each weekly appointment.  High school students may attend on their own after the initial appointment of each semester.

What does it take to be successful in Independent Study?

Students who are successful in an independent study setting demonstrate the following skills:


  • Time Management:  setting aside regular time daily to complete school work
  • Regular Attendance:  making each week's required appointment a priority
  • Structured Class or Indirect Instruction Participation:  taking advantage of one-on-one tutoring available in key subjeccts
  • Meeting or Exceeding Weekly Course Work Requirements

Other Student Prerequisites Include: 

Students willing to make a major commitment to Independent Study for at least one semester. 

Students who may thrive in a non-traditional high school setting

A positive attitude by parents and student about Independent Study and its requirements

Students who are motivated to achieve educationally

Ability to read and comprehend written instructions at or near grade level

Student ability and willingness to work with limited supervision by a certificated instructor

Possession of sufficient self-discipline and self-direction to complete learning goals

Parental supervision, support, assistance and commitment

Special Education students may qualify if recommended through the IEP

How much academic work is required weekly?

Monte Vista students meet with their supervising teacher for a one hour appointment each week to review completed work assignments, receive individual support, complete tests in a proctored setting, and preview assignments for the coming week.

Students in grades 9-12 must complete a minimum of 30 hours of academic work each week.

Students in grades 6-8 must complete a minimum of 25 hours of academic work each week.

Students in grades K-5 have a 20 hour weekly minimum.

Does Monte Vista have a graduation ceremony?

YES!  Each graduate is individually celebrated and honored. Caps and gowns can be purchased through the office in Spring.

8th graders will also be honored in their own promotion ceremony. 

Participation in Activities at Other High Schools

Monte Vista students wanting to attend activities and events at other high schools as guests (i.e. prom) must be in good standing in academics, attendance, productive hours and behavior.  A Monte Vista I.D. card may be needed for admission into the event. See the office for new or duplicate ID card.

Are there any fees associated with attending Monte Vista?

No, as we are a public school and a part of the Simi Valley School District.